I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 8 December 2017

Christmas is coming


The huge Christmas trees have been put up in Salts Mill, with very tasteful decorations. It must take them ages to do; there are four or five trees at least, all needing to be substantial to have any impact in the vast gallery spaces. This one is inside the main lobby entrance. Coming in from the chilly outdoors, it is wonderful to step into the warmth, see the bright colours and smell the fragrance of white lilies. Huge vases full of them are always spread throughout the 1853 gallery, in memory (I think) of the late Jonathan Silver, who rescued the mill from dereliction in the 1980s.

6 comments:

  1. Fragrances are very important to me, and my memory associates them with special places of my life. Shipley for me is the pungent sulphur coal smoke of a cold morning.The Cameron Highlands tea plantations are for me, Malaya. The smell of really hot varnish in the sun mixed with a duft of calor gas means a dream childhood holiday on the Ouse at Hemingford Grey. Fragrances are special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pretty tree in a pretty space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful Jenny. I really must get into Christmas mode, my grandchildren arrive from Sydney next week so I'd better get the tree up ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny - gorgeous to see ... while the white lilies must be amazing to scent as one wanders the galleries - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie Melua sang for us on ZDF "Ein Herz für Kinder" tonight. Now I know why you like her!

    ReplyDelete