I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 10 March 2017

The Craft House


Saltaire has, for a long time, been a creative community. The Craft House seeks to showcase that local talent as well as stocking some beautiful handmade gifts and homeware from skilled craftsmen and women from across the UK, pieces that are not widely available elsewhere. The shop, on Saltaire Road, was opened about six months ago by April Chamberlain, who happens to be the sister of one of my former work colleagues and also the daughter of the very talented Alice Brett, whose work I first came across at Bingley Show. (See here).  Consequently, there are some of Alice's very cute knitted mice and bears for sale.

I'd been meaning to pop in for a while to take a closer look at the range of goods on display. There are some really gorgeous things and all at very reasonable prices. 'Yorkshire talent at Yorkshire prices' is what April says she is aiming to provide. I was particularly attracted by a range of cushions and mugs, by Meha Hindocha, depicting Saltaire's buildings and streets: brilliantly colourful, detailed and distinctively 'different'. There are also beautiful ceramics, greetings cards, cotton bags, pictures and many other things that would make excellent gifts and practical additions to a stylish home. Everything is carefully curated and thoughtfully displayed in the light and airy gallery, sunshine pouring in on the day I called.


The Craft House also hosts community craft classes, one day workshops and parties, which are all quite tempting...  I've been thinking perhaps I might explore another creative outlet as well as photography. Watch this space...

Anyway, if you're local or visiting Saltaire, I do encourage you to call in and see what's on offer. The shop isn't in a location that gets a lot of passing pedestrians, though I'm sure motorists stuck in the endless traffic jam that is Saltaire Road must enjoy looking in the window. Those further afield might look at the website (here) and keep an eye open for the online shop, which should be up and running shortly.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for visiting The Craft House Andree and for your lovely write up and gorgeous photographs - so kind of you! It was really nice to meet you and I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon. I love your blog - such wonderful photographs (makes me want to get on my walking boots and get outside to some of the beautiful places featured!). Best wishes, April

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go there for sure if visiting Saltaire again one day!

    ReplyDelete