I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 13 June 2016

Our local heron(s)



Grey herons are fairly common birds round here but they are still a thrilling sight, to me at least. I am not sure if these two photos are of the same bird; I suspect it might be. Although the colours in the two images look somewhat different, that may be just down to the light and the processing. The first photo was taken on the river at the weir in Roberts Park and the second along the canal beside Hirst Lock, less than half a mile apart. I love how these birds watch and listen, standing very still, and then move like lightning to catch a fish. They are lovely to see flying overhead too, having a characteristic floppy - almost lazy-looking- wingbeat.

6 comments:

  1. Very photogenic birds they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have them here too, into the fall. I enjoy watching them fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always thrilled to spot one too, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always get excited when I see one! You got a couple of wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herons are elegant birds. Yours look a lot like the ones I see over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these are beautiful! I love the texture and the pattern of the water as background.

    ReplyDelete