I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 7 October 2014

WWI memorial


I went walking on the Bingley St Ives estate and stumbled upon the dedication of a new war memorial and field of poppies in the grounds. It is to commemorate the centenary of the start of the war and to remember those from the Harden area who fought and in many cases died. It was a short, simple but quite moving service and blessing. It was special for me too, because the vicar of Harden is an old friend and neighbour of mine. Before he was called to ministry he and his wife used to worship at the church I attend. I rarely see them anymore so it was a pleasure to bump into him.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see new memorials like this being dedicated and it must have been a privilege to be there. I can't help wondering why it didn't happen in the 1920s, though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good thing to stumble upon. It must have been a buzz to see your old friend again.

    ReplyDelete