I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 24 August 2013

Kilnsey Old Hall

It's curious how many of the houses I feature here turn out to be for sale! This is Kilnsey Old Hall, a beautifully restored Grade II listed dwelling, dating back mainly to the mid-17th century but with parts believed to go back to medieval times.

As I've said before in this series of posts, Kilnsey was at one time a monastic grange belonging to Fountains Abbey. There is evidence that a Manorial Court was held here (when local disputes were ruled upon, and petty criminals tried). The gatehouse, in the foreground of my photo, which once extended into an arched gateway, may have remnants of the old courthouse. Behind the house is a small chapel, now a holiday let.

The main part of the house was built in 1648 for Christopher Wade. His son, Cuthbert was a captain in the Royalist forces of Charles I in the English Civil War. After a chequered history, the property was bought in 1998 and has been carefully restored to a very high standard by the Wilkinsons. Sonia Wilkinson has researched and published a book about the history of the Hall and the area. (See here for an interesting press article).

Look at the sales brochure. It's a fabulous house!

3 comments:

  1. I'm still not buying. I might need a bit more to do than is available in Kilnsey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I wished I had the money to buy it ! It's so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so enjoyed visiting Kilnsey! The picture of the trout is especially spectacular. And I explored the Old Hall brochure as avidly as if I had the means to afford it!

    ReplyDelete