I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Swan Upping


I fitted in a trip to Otley recently with one of my photography groups.  Most of the evening was taken up with a meal and general chat, but I did also wander down to the river, where there are always quite a few mute swans.  I'm still on a quest to get the perfect photo of a swan.  This isn't it yet!  I did rather like the way she (or maybe he, how can you tell?) was holding her feathers.  Lightroom still needs a good deal of exploring before I will be confident in the presentation of my photos - so much to learn - though it does bring out the texture of the feathers quite nicely.

It seemed a good photo to use, because a great British tradition was supposed to take place during this week - the royal Swan Upping.  It's an ancient ceremony dating back to the 12th century, when all unmarked mute swans were claimed by the Crown (for food in those days, nowadays it's about conservation). A team of Swan Uppers, dressed in ceremonial scarlet uniforms, are led up the Thames (from Sunbury to Abingdon)  in a stately procession of rowing boats and banners, led by the David Barber, the Queen's Swan Marker  - a man who has a real feather in his cap! They corral the swans and their cygnets; each bird is caught and examined before being counted and released.  It makes a colourful sight.  I learned however, just before I posted this blog entry, that it has been cancelled (like so many other events this summer) because the Thames is so flooded and dangerous.  Too late to alter the blog!  Never mind, watch the video, it's still interesting.



6 comments:

  1. That is such an interesting tradition. I have never heard of it before. Loved the video. It is a shame about all the rain and flooding you are getting over there. We also have had an unusually wet winter. Normally we get rain in summer and it is dry most of winter but not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely photograph. You are definitely a professional or a perfectionist:) Loved the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up with your beautiful pictures -- I, too, have been experimenting with HDR-- or rather, the effect called HDR-ish on Picasa's free program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the interesting information. I first heard of swan upping earlier this week when I saw a piece on Public Television. What seemed like an odd practice became understandable after reading the information you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swans are so elegant birds ! I read somewhere that all swans are owned by the Queen. It's so sad that so many events had to be cancelled because of the bad weather ! It's the same in Belgium too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful swan! I haven't seen one live in several years. They are so graceful!

    ReplyDelete