I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 8 March 2012

House of Fabrics


Saltaire's history is tightly interwoven with textiles.  The village owes its existence to Sir Titus Salt's vision for a huge mill that would bring together on one site his entire woollen manufacturing business.  Salts Mill was in business from 1853 until 1986, producing high quality cloth that was exported across the globe.

It seems fitting therefore that Saltaire should still have a thriving textile business - though this one is a retail outlet.  House of Fabrics is a treasure trove of furnishing fabric and associated accessories, cushions, trims, curtain poles - everything needed for beautiful soft-furnishings in the home.  If you can't find something you like, amongst the thousands of rolls of fabric and swatches on display, then you must be really, really picky!

I am trying to summon the will to redecorate my sitting room this spring.  I've decided that choosing new curtains is the first step to take, so I paid the shop a visit.  That bit isn't hard; it's a wonderful shop and a delight to explore.  What is hard is making a choice from all the delicious and varied fabrics on offer - do I want traditional or contemporary, plain, patterned or textured...? Oh my!

7 comments:

  1. This shop sounds like paradise to me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't help your decision when there are so many different fabrics to choose from. You would be confident of getting good quality in Saltare considering its history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I do love fabric stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could spend hours in a fabric store. That looks like a good one! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be there, I have a weakness for fabric!

    ReplyDelete