I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 28 September 2011

It's those Italians again!


Does this look familiar?  It's NOT in Saltaire (or Venice!)... but it could well be.  It's a building in the city of Manchester.  It was formerly the Manchester Reform Club - a Victorian gentlemen's club for Manchester Liberal Party's elite.  Designed by Edward Salomans, it was built in 1870-71, just as Saltaire was being completed.  It too is Italianate, built in the Venetian Gothic style and it shares many motifs in common with Saltaire's buildings.  In fact when I first saw it, I wondered if the architects were Lockwood and Mawson.  Look at the arch and roundel pattern of the windows - seen here in Saltaire - and the patterned tops of the arches - see here.  The elegant building now houses shops and a restaurant.  You can see the whole building and a bit more about it here.


I couldn't decide if I like the B&W or the colour version best.  If I was clever I'd have done a mouse-over but I still can't figure out how to add the html.  So you can have two big pictures in one post today.

10 comments:

  1. This is a super composition, and with the subject being architecture, I like it better in monochrome. All colour - except the striped arches - are a distraction. A very handsome building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the B&W. There are a number of places online, where you can pick up the javascript for the mouseover effect. Give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too prefer the B&W. Italy in Manchester and Saltaire, who could think that?!But that's true, it's really an italian architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely the B&W shows the details more clearly without the distracting reflection. It is fascinating to me as well to see the similarities in architectural styles in different places.
    And I can't figure out the mouseover thing, either. Why do these effects have to be more confusing on a Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  5. But in Italy the bricks would have that warm 'sun-kissed' look which is difficult to find in Manchester. That said, glorious Indian summer down here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer it in color ! Italian in black and white is impossible. BTW I can say your title each time Mr. G. enters a room !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I initially liked the b&w version best, but after playing with the color balance a bit (lessening the saturation of the reflected reds in the windows and increasing the overall saturation) I decided I liked the colorized version better. Either way, it's an excellent shot. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great architectural period, Jenny. The B&W version is good, but my eye prefers the colored one, with the red flashes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Normally, I am very attracted to B&W, but in this case, I think the strong colours really add something to the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This time I will say COLOR.
    Nice details and reflection.

    ReplyDelete