I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 21 July 2011

What a view!


Parcevall Hall's gardens extend over 24 acres on a steeply sloping site.  Some of the area is orchard and woodland but around the house there are formal terraced gardens, whilst behind is an interesting rock garden, carved out of the limestone bedrock, and a pretty rose garden.  There are magnificent views across to the hill known as Simon's Seat and down towards the valley of the River Wharfe - and happily there are plenty of benches strategically placed to make the most of the scenery.

Originally laid out by Sir William Milner from 1927, the gardens became neglected after his death until a restoration programme was started in the 1980s.  Now back to their former glory, they are carefully managed to provide interest all year round (though the site is remote and can be difficult to access in winter.)  The hall and gardens have been featured in films and on TV and though not attracting hordes of visitors (thankfully it retains a peaceful feel) they are of great interest to garden enthusiasts.
-----

I was pondering John's comment yesterday about my photos having 'balance and serenity'.  I think I do very much seek out those qualities in my lifestyle and environment - and I suppose, by definition therefore, my photos.  Working for a large public sector organisation that, despite its protestations to the contrary, seems hell-bent on demoralising its workforce and making it impossible for us to give the public the good service they deserve - and then coming home to the media stories of greed, corruption and "couldn't care less about others, only seeking to serve myself" in high places... I really need beauty and peace and I find it most easily in nature (though that also has its harsh side).  Today's good news is: my daughter's 20 week scan is fine - and it's a girl.  And my mum's treatment is working as hoped and she is doing well.  Praise God - and thank you for your kind thoughts and comments on both matters.

15 comments:

  1. Yes it's a tough old world out there, particularly in your part of it at present if you're in the public sector.Glad family life is going well for you and yes your photos do have serenity.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I had ever heard of Parcevall Hall, never mind its gardens. Which just goes to show that within this small world we live in there is a large world fighting to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family news is wonderful, Jenny! I can just imagine how your cup runneth over with pride and joy right now!

    Parcevall Hall is such a beautiful place. I'd gladly move in and overstay my welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to here the good family news. The peace and serenity of this place oozes through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, you find serenity and manage to show it to us! This reminds me of our summer house, but yours is much more taken care of! I really love your posts and pictures, keep updating! :)

    ___
    Just dial

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could sit on that bench seat and admire that wonderful serene view - just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One can hardly walk 20' in any direction in England without seeing a beautiful view! Thanks for another glimpse of that beautiful countryside, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever seen a better place for a bench?!!Yes, what a view!

    So glad to read the good news!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could sit and look at that view for hours!
    Happy for your good news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a view, indeed! And keep seeking that safety valve, and sharing it with us! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always educate us so well, Jennyfreckles. Nice scene and interesting place.

    Glad your family news is upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous view and I love the waterlily. I, too, look for the serenity and beauty in the madness of the modern world. And your blog is one of the places I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're on the same page of looking for beauty to balance the muck that we need to deal with in ordinary life. Once, some years ago when I was considering an office move to a less than lovely neighborhood, a wonderful Jungian analyst friend of mine talked me out of it by reminding me that my chosen environment needs to be uplifting to nourish my soul. She was so right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad for your good news on the family front! I'm sure this news helps give you peace of mind, but your lovely shots convey that too! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete