I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Coniston Water


Coniston Water is the third largest lake in the Lake District, in the south-western corner of the National Park.  Another ribbon lake, it's five miles long.  The little town of Coniston sits on its western shore.  The area has three famous connections.  Coniston Water was the site of many attempts to break the world water-speed record and on one attempt in 1967 Donald Campbell was killed in his craft Bluebird when it somersaulted at 320 mph and sank.  The lake was also the inspiration for Arthur Ransome's famous children's novel "Swallows and Amazons" and some of its sequels.  (A must-read, if you haven't read it already!)  It is also the setting for the house known as Brantwood, home to the eminent Victorian artist, writer and philosopher John Ruskin.... more on that tomorrow...

13 comments:

  1. I've loved these photos of the Lakes District - they bring back many happy memories of a HF walking holiday I did a few years ago. The scenery is so picturesque and even this lovely lake on a choppy day is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a romantic picture!Even (or especially?..) under those grey skies, the place is incredibily beautyful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nicely composed shot with the wobbly pier and red sail boat. Another beautiful lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh look at those striking red sails you captured in an otherwise monochrome image! Wonderful shot. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, before I read the text of this post, my first thought was, Swallows and Amazons! Very nice photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks a bit chilly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm assuming that Coniston Water is near Coniston? There's a B&B at Coniston, Yew Tree Farm, that I'd love to stay at some day. Looks like a perfect setting, doesn't it - and with sheep!

    Beautiful photo, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red sails in the sunset... where is the sunset? Very unique ( if that is at all possible ) photograph color-wise. Sorry I forgot the u.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the composition in this picture. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shot - a stormy time at sea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the real Coniston Water! I've seen it that way many times. You see, Dianne, I used to lead walking holidays for HF from Monk Coniston. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photo! I loved SWALLOWS AND AMAZONS -- nice to see the setting!

    And I really enjoyed the pics of sheep and the shepherd's counting system -- like Hickory Dickory Dock. Shall follow the link and see if there's a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an absolutely terrific photo, Jenny. Publishable. I would love to see the Lake District one of these days. I think it is time to pull out the calendar and plane schedules.

    ReplyDelete