I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 15 December 2010

Another tradition...


My church, St Peter's Shipley, staged our second 'Walking Nativity' on Sunday afternoon (another event that might well become a tradition).  For those not familiar with the concept, it involves a walk of about a mile through the local streets, starting at our church and ending in a large farm barn (which happily belongs to some members of our congregation.)  We stop every now and again to sing a carol and watch actors (mostly members of our Youth Group) enact a scene from the Christmas Story ...with a modern twist.

We saw Joseph packing his rucksack for a long journey with Mary, pondering what the angel had told him about the child soon to be born.  We heard the Innkeeper's tale and the Shepherd's tale, we saw the Magi carrying gifts for a King and finally we watched the magical scene in the stable as everyone came to see the baby.  Wonderful!


"For to us a child is born... and he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, 
Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  Isaiah 9:6

17 comments:

  1. Good fun! Did many people stop to watch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat thing to do. I'd love to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure have wonderful community spirit in Saltaire. It is great to know it still exists.These items should be in the news more often. Well done Saltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather like the idea of a pub called "The Star and Shepherd"

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to do this in the form of a walk. I'm not at all religious, but I'm sure I would enjoy that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that tradition...sounds great.
    Your pictures are lovely.

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful. I love the traditions surrounding Christmas, even the traditions that started last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read about that tradition in "Country living" (my secret english pleasure!:)I like this tradition! that's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment was interesting. Gee, I think you were describing me, except I don't wear bow ties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly do live in a very special village community, Jenny - no wonder you take such an obvious pride in it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is something I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a nice Christmas tradition. I don't think I've ever been to a walking nativity but I've been to sort of similar events displaying the Easter drama - not outdoors but indoors in and out through different rooms and up and own stairs etc in a parish hall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My thought was the same as Diane's... what a wonderful community spirit your town has!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saltaire really has some wonderful Christmas traditions, and it's so neat to see this is yet a fairly new one. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete