I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Advent calendar


Five years ago, a couple living in Saltaire had the idea of getting people to work together to make a 'Living Advent Calendar' throughout the village.  The initiative proved very popular and has now become a tradition. (And isn't it good that new traditions continue to be invented?) So each year, 24 windows in 24 houses or businesses scattered around the village come to life with a festive scene.  One is 'opened' each day from 1st to 24th December.  There is a map but it's rather fun just to wander round the village and see how many you can spot.

I loved the one above, number 7 at 20 Jane Street.  It's a glorious blue and I liked the idea of a star and an angel hovering over Saltaire.  If you look carefully at the base of the window, you can see a silhouette of Salts Mill with its chimney and twin towers and, I think, the church on the right.

18 comments:

  1. A beautiful and nice tradition.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea. I love the way that people have co-operated to make this happen. What fun looking for the new windows. Are you going to show us more, please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I love "new" traditions. And by now I look forward to the tradition of you featuring some of the windows on your Blog. Makes me feel a little like a Saltairer (what is the term?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a gorgeous idea. I wonder if I could get our village to do something similar. We're about the same size as Saltaire....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea. If the weather behaves, I am hoping to squeeze in Saltair between Christmas and New Year - its always a joy to visit. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful tradition! I hope everyone there takes the opportunity to visit those lovely windows. I'd love to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great and lovely idea! here we have a crib's way, everyone puts a crib on its window. It's a good way to make people go through the town and discover it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traditions, like journeys, do start with the first step. This one is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a marvellous idea! No 7's window certainly is lovely and the silhouette adds to the charm.

    What a truly super idea to involve all the townsfolk of Saltaire, those whose turn it is to come up with a unique window display and everyone else who makes an effort to venture outdoors to view them :)

    Thank you, Jenny, for leaving such a nice message on my blog. Very, very sweet of you & much appreciated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tradition, and what memories this will create for years to come. I wish I could see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is glorious! What a wonderful new tradition to have in your beautiful Saltaire. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely idea! And a very beautiful window.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea. I love this one. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the most beautiful advent calendar I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tradition,but wouldn't it get cold inside with the widow open?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super idea - I'd love to wander around searching for those windows:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful idea! This is a lovely window.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great idea!

    Love this image!:)

    ReplyDelete