I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Walled gardens

The walled gardens at East Riddlesden Hall are a most attractive feature, designed by Graham Stuart Thomas for the National Trust. There are borders of herbs that would have been routinely used in the past in cooking, as healing remedies and to scent rooms and clothing. There are formal flowerbeds, lawns, fruit trees and a 'wild' garden too. And of course the large fishpond at the entrance (see my photo two days ago) that may have been made originally by monks from Bolton Abbey. A slightly later addition to the house - the Starkie Wing - was demolished in 1905, with one wall left standing (to the left of my picture) that has been attractively incorporated into the garden.

For a photo of this wing from the other side, please see my blog for September 30 2009.

12 comments:

  1. I can imagine sitting on that bench, with the summer sun draped over me and the orchestrated humming of bees to help me snooze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That window reminds me a lot of Shibden Hall but I am sure the gardens are much more beautiful - the ones at Shibden are always a bit of a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my love for benches..Humm, being sittting there, enjoying the peace and the beauty of this place!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sitting on the bench resting my eyes on the garden would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to dream.I had fun going through the National Trust site when lookng over your other posts.Your sharing is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the benches too! What a lovely place to sit a enjoy the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely -- I'd love to visit -- since I can;t live there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I know I keep saying this, but it's just so pretty where you live - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely place - thank you!

    ReplyDelete