I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 9 July 2010

On Ilkla Moor Baht'at

And here is what some of you have been waiting for.....
From the terrace of the small building that holds the White Wells Spa, you can sit beside the flag showing the white rose emblem of Yorkshire, and survey the view over Ilkley (with a cup of Yorkshire Tea, of course!).

Be careful if, like these people, you're not wearing a hat.... You could come to a dreadful end.
"On Ilkla Moor Baht'at" is a famous comic song, sung in Yorkshire dialect, warning a lover, courting Mary Jane on Ilkley Moor, that he will die of exposure if he doesn't wear a hat. It then goes on to teach a very sound lesson about recycling! Click this link to see a fine You-Tube rendition or this link to read the words in Yorkshire - and in English!


(Photo best viewed large)

12 comments:

  1. Whilst I played the YouTube video, I stood with my hand on my heart just like those world cup players. Amy the dog looked at me as though I was bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great view. I remember singing that song at school. And we were in Cheshire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course "courting Mary Jane" = smoking m*r*juana. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I have never seen the words before. I loved the video, reminded me of my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jenny, you made our day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's nice! I could probably sit out there all day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned this song at school and I remember singing it with my mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I joined them on the bench, lovely view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I joined the RAF back in 1963 my Dad taught me all the verses; they have come in useful in bars around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Didn't the Pythons do some sketches with Yorkshire accents?

    ReplyDelete