I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 21 May 2010

Living next door to Alice

Time flies by - it seems only minutes since I went to the Canal Festival in Skipton but actually it was three weeks ago! Held every year, the three-day Festival is a colourful event, as narrowboats congregate in the canal basin from all over the place. They are all decorated up with flags, flowers and lights and make a cheerful sight. There are various stalls and sideshows, and live music playing most of the day. I haven't stopped singing "Living next door to Alice" since then! Some of you may remember that catchy little song from 1976. It was a hit for Smokie, a local Bradford band. I haven't figured out how to put sound on my blog but click on the Youtube video if you must... (Oh, do check out those amazing flares!) I don't think it was Smokie playing in Skipton, but someone doing a cover version - pretty good though!

7 comments:

  1. I went on youtube. the song is unknown from me , in Fance, but I like it! deliciously 70ies vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply a fantastic festival !!Lovely post !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've captured the colour of the day well. And Smokie, I'd forgotten all about that band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the original well .... couldn't quite get on with the rude remake more recently :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a narrow boat holiday quite a few years ago and enjoyed if very much. The folks I travelled with are very active in the narrow boat community and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those narrow boats are so charming. I'd love to live aboard one for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been a pretty picture. We went on a canal boat in france and had a load of fun. We almost booked for a trip from Skipton too but we had to cancel due to work commitments and illness in the family.

    ReplyDelete