I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 31 March 2010

New bandstand

Another aspect of the renovation of Roberts Park in Saltaire is the reinstatement of the bandstand. There must have been a similar structure when the park was first developed, but it had long since disappeared. The new bandstand will provide a focal point in the more formal gardens on the upper terrace of the park. There is a wide promenade, and the bandstand is being erected opposite the statue of Sir Titus Salt, which stands on the roof of the Half-Moon Café. It will give him something to look at! I have always thought it incongruous that he faces away from the village and the mill that he founded.

I am looking forward to a retirement enlivened by Sunday concerts in the park. (Some way to go yet, but I live in hope!) And there is always the prospect of tea and cricket on the lower level of the park, beside the café. Saltaire Cricket Club has a long history of playing on the Roberts Park ground - a topic I will return to in the summer....

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny

    Like you, I am very much looking forward to the completion of the Regeneration of Roberts Park and seeing the flower beds again (they were still there in my childhood) and the new Band Stand. I've not been down to the park so far this year so I got quite excited looking at your photo; like seeing a big Christmas present and being all impatient to unwrap it.

    Roll on Summer and the concerts. I'll have some of the teas from the Half Moon Cafe too; but, I'm sorry, I'm afraid that cricket leaves me rather cold.

    If you'll please forgive a blatant plug... Amongst the various excellent bands who will be entertaining us over summer is "Hot Aire". I highly recommend them. Their website is here http://www.hotaire.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and lovely shot !! Beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember them as a lad in the parks in Sheffield, there were often bands playing in them at the weekends. Not 'cool' now,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post a picture again when it is finished - should be great :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This park is going to be quite a showplace when they are done! I have 2 and a half more years until I retire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bandstand looks like it will be very nice. Should present many photo opportunities. Good luck on the retirement planning; I would prefer someplace a little warmer myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunday concerts in the park! How nice that sounds!

    ReplyDelete