I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 31 July 2009

Tong Park Dam


One of the best things about living in Saltaire is how quickly you can escape from the urban sprawl into green space. My weekend walk quickly took me into the fields beyond Baildon. This view looks over Tong Park Dam, with Hollins Hall golf course on the far right and Tong Park cricket ground (surely one of the most attractive of settings for a cricket field) to the left. There must be a history to Tong Park but I haven't been able to find it. There is a war memorial (more or less at the spot where I took the photo) commemorating some 20 or so men from the area who died in the two world wars. But whether it was a private estate or another little mill village or what, I haven't discovered. The Dam is marked on maps as a mill dam, so there must have been a mill there at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment