I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 12 July 2009

Colour on the canal


Is there such a thing as a boat spotter (as in train-spotter)? I bet there is and I think when I'm an old lady I shall become one. It would be a lovely hobby, sitting by a lock all day in the summer and watching the boats. What fascinates me is that no two boats are alike: some are cared for, some rather shabby; some elaborately decorated, others quite plain and functional. And although living here I see quite a few, nonetheless I always feel thrilled to see them.

Mostly the boats on the Leeds-Liverpool canal are traditional narrowboats, designed to neatly fit two abreast in the canal locks (or were the locks designed round the boats?). There are a few wider barges and a few pleasure cruisers, which tend to look a bit incongruous. (I'm sure there's a proper term for them
- but see how much I have to learn to become a good boat 'spotter'.)

This one is a lovely boat, the Harnser, registered in Tamworth - beautifully decorated and lovingly cared for. It brought a splash of colour to the rather monochrome stretch of water between the Mills.


1 comment:

  1. Hello and welcome to the CDP community. I nearly started as the Saltaire DP, but.. became Leeds daily photo in the end.
    .
    Moving into Saltaire over the next week or so.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete